db-commons-dev mailing list archives

From Brian McCallister <mccallis...@forthillcompany.com>
Subject Re: new project question
Date Sun, 18 Jan 2004 21:14:16 GMT
I would like to see the code, or at least what it looks like. The
implementation I use most of the time (if I'm not not using OJB for the
project ;-) is at  http://kasparov.skife.org/sqlbuilder.html . It is
far from a complete solution, and I know of at least three other open,
or "email me and I'll give it to you" implementations in Java, and many
more in other languages. As such it seems like a really good candidate
for a *-commons implementation.

I know both OJB and Torque have SQL building tools in them as well.

The jakarta commons-sql project, which is moving to db-commons is a
programmatically convenient API for doing DDL, so I tend to think that
tools for other SQL statements would be good complements (when the
original discussion of moving sql came up this was part of the
discussion).

One benefit to it NOT being open and available right now, and it being
small (just selects) is that it could potentially be contributed into
commons-sql without an incubator hassle. OTOH, your particular
implementation may not wind up being the final form it takes, but if
you are thinking in the problem domain it is good to see what you are
doing =)

Jakarta DBUtils has a number of tools for working with JDBC and
database stuff at a pretty high level (mapping result sets to beans
etc) which falls into a similar domain, but still doesn't provide a
nice tool for doing sql generation.

-Brian