db-commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Donald F. McLean" <dmcl...@stsci.edu>
Subject Re: Clarification of this project
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2003 18:44:27 GMT
It's sometimes hard to tell whether something is deliberately or
accidentally vague. In this case, the answer appears to be that it is
deliberately vague.

My interest in databases in centered around all Java embeddable datases
with no licensing cost of any kind for commercial use. My application is
fairly small and I can't afford licensing fees.

There are several "free" databases but so far I haven't found one that
met my needs that didn't also have some kind of per-end-user licensing
fee for commercial use. As a result, I've been writing my own.

Some of the classes that I've been writing could be generally applicable
to either database software or to other, less powerful types of
random-access binary file IO. I will prepare a write-up of what I've
written so far and submit it as a proposed package for this project.

Donald