datafu-dev mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: Speaking of podling reports
Date Sat, 06 Jan 2018 01:46:10 GMT
On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 7:17 PM, Matthew Hayes
<matthew.terence.hayes@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Roman,
>
> I started a discussion
> <https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201710.mbox/browser>
> on
> graduation in October.  Some feedback was
>
> 1) concern over number of committers vs. number of PMC members (here
> <https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201710.mbox/%3Cop.y7jw80af4ntv07%40desktop-v42f38k%3E>
>  and here
> <https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201710.mbox/%3CCAOqetn_tXYM0MgZ_QUJg9xDiWUr2_VG5Msde96fmvBuBQriK-w%40mail.gmail.com%3E>
> )
> 2) process for how committers are removed (here
> <https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201710.mbox/%3CCAFAMeYLxX5VD-t7Z4MQkKQ6y_M8BEdU975tjsUbAY7B5qVu3Zw%40mail.gmail.com%3E>
> )
> 3) various website issues and an issue regarding sha512 checksum extension (
> here
> <https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201710.mbox/%3CCAOGo0VZN4mLw-eS-Oz8W1hVhS70Y_BwwikJjRi9Sx3n0s8sFMg%40mail.gmail.com%3E>
> )
>
> I don't know if any action is required for #2; this was based on Fineract's
> process, which seemed reasonable to us.  Do committers usually remain
> indefinitely?  I don't have a strong opinion either way.

In most projects -- yes. So how about we just do it the default way and
call it a day? Any strong objections?

> For #1, I thought from previous discussions that having 4 PMC members was
> sufficient.   John said 5 members was the bare minimum.

John is NOT correct. There's nothing in the policy that states that. 4
PMC is fine,
but see bellow...

> I'm sure if we asked more committers would be willing to join the PMC.  Mike suggested
> asking who would like to remain a committer going forward after
> graduation.  Generally, immediately after graduation should the committer
> list equal the PMC list?  i.e. should we ask who would like to remain as
> both a committer and and PMC member?

...for all of my podlings I have advocated PMC == committers at the graduation
point. I think it sets up a very healthy culture for the project.

Is this something you guys are willing to consider?

Now, of course, you will still have to *ask* existing committers if they would
like to join a PMC (given an additional set of responsibilities) but typically
most people say yes.

> For #3, most of the issues raised with the website have been fixed.  Most
> of the Whimsy checks for DataFu
> <https://whimsy.apache.org/pods/project/datafu> are now green, aside from
> Events and Image, which don't seem to pass for anyone, and License, which
> seems like an invalid check to me.  I'm working on addressing the remaining
> issues for #3.  The sha512 issue requires a new release, which we should do
> anyways.

Great. So lets see if we can do this final push for graduation in the coming
month or so.

Thanks,
Roman.