cxf-users mailing list archives

From Aki Yoshida <elak...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Why does CXF JAX-RS set content-type on GET requests with no body?
Date Tue, 11 Aug 2015 09:14:26 GMT
HI Sergey,
it could be that the problem had something to do with the proxy's
configuration and not really a bug? Not related to this content-type
issue, we had a similar misconfiguration in the forwarding rule (e.g.,
it was letting only "Upgrade" accepted but not "upgrade") that
prevented some clients e.g., IE from opening a websocket through it.
;-)

Regarding the use of value */* for the content-type header , isn't
this value syntactically invalid?

There is something interesting in the following section of the MIME spec.
----
Default RFC 822 messages without a MIME Content-Type header are taken
   by this protocol to be plain text in the US-ASCII character set,
   which can be explicitly specified as:

This default is assumed if no Content-Type header field is specified.
   It is also recommend that this default be assumed when a
   syntactically invalid Content-Type header field is encountered.
----

That means, we could also use "Content-type: text/plain;
charset=us-ascii" instead of the no content-type to have the same
effect or overwrite the default value with some valid content type.
Interestingly, the last sentence recommends the server to accept a
syntactically invalid type like */* and assume the default text/plain
ascii type. But it is only recommended and not required.

regards, aki