cxf-users mailing list archives

From Dennis Sosnoski <...@sosnoski.com>
Subject Re: CXF WS-Trust/WS-SecureConversation security policy questions
Date Mon, 14 Oct 2013 20:38:07 GMT
And now that I've had some sleep I'll modify my earlier retraction.
Metro, at least, does provide a way of doing the server certificate
distribution in WSDL, but through the WS-Addressing EndpointReference
rather than through the policy:
https://blogs.oracle.com/SureshMandalapu/entry/support_of_endpoint_references_with

The bad news is that it looks like this is based on a non-standard
called "Web Services Addressing Identity", one of the many WS-*
technologies that was introduced but has never made it through to become
widely supported. It looks like this is the proposal:
http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2004/08/addressing/addressingidentity/WS-AddressingAndIdentity.pdf

An OASIS technical committee was set up to handle work in this area, but
it looks like they haven't actually produced anything:
https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=imi

I don't think CXF supports this particular non-standard, so it's
irrelevant to Susan's needs, but it is an interesting idea. Clients need
to have access to the WSDL anyway, so why not include the server
certificate directly in the WSDL? There are obvious security issues
involved which mean you wouldn't want to use this approach for
highly-secure services, but the advantage of configuration-free client
operation would be significant for services using certificates issued by
public CAs.

   - Dennis