cxf-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Local transport queries
Date Thu, 10 Oct 2013 20:39:22 GMT

On Oct 10, 2013, at 2:35 PM, Mandy Warren <mandys.inbox@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have so far used local transports for our rest service testing but we're now evaluating
it for use as an efficient way to talk between services in different war files.

> I had a few questions..
>
> 1. How does CXF locate/lookup the called service? I assume that each war has it's own
bus so don't understand how CXF locates services running on other buses unless it's using
something like JNDI..

It doesn't.   The Local transport is only for services that can be found on the same bus.
   THAT said, if the two wars end up using the "default" bus, it's possible that they could
find each other.

> 2. Is the call between wars using local transport made on the same thread?

See above.   But if they are on the same bus, it is configurable as to weather the same thread
is used or if it will pop onto a thread pool.

> 3. The documentation mentions "You can also configure the local transport to avoid serialization
by using the Object binding or the colocation feature if desired". Please can you explain
the Object binding and how it differs from coloc?

Object Binding + Local transport is CLOSE to using Coloc.  However, coloc  bypasses much of
the interceptor chains whereas Local+Object keeps the interceptor chains in place.   Thus,
if you have particular interceptors that need to run, they may not work as well with the coloc
stuff.

--
Daniel Kulp