cxf-users mailing list archives

From Sergey Beryozkin <sberyoz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Support for WebSockets
Date Fri, 04 Jan 2013 12:16:31 GMT
Hi Daniel
On 04/01/13 14:07, Daniel Bimschas wrote:
> Hi Sergey, all,
>
> Thank you for your answer Sergey! It seems I'm still figuring out what CXF actually does
and what not (e.g. in comparison to Camel). If I got it correct now CXF exists to cover Services
(i.e. request ->  response pattern) while Camel covers message based applications. Is that
correct?

> In that case I wonder if my question makes any sense with regard to what I want to realize
for my application. My WebSocket API is message-based, although there's a custom request->response
pattern built on top (in addition to e.g. events being pushed from server to client).

Personally I've been thinking more of supporting pushing the events from
the server, that would very likely help with getting LogBrowser enhanced
but also help users write UIs on top of CXF,

> My use-case is the following: I want to provide a number of "service endpoints" like
this:

> SOAP/HTTP-based Web Services (JAX-WS)
>    http://myserver/soap/v1.0/
>    http://myserver/soap/v2.0/
>
> HTTP-based REST API (JAX-RS)
>    http://myserver/rest/v1.0/
>    http://myserver/rest/v2.0/
>
> WebSockets message-based API
>    http://myserver/websocket/v1.0/
>    http://myserver/websocket/v2.0/
>
> Do you have an idea how to tackle this use case in an elegant manner?

I'm not sure at the moment; what is the difference between using JMS and
message-based WebSockets ?

Thanks, Sergey

> The current implementation I'm trying to refactor is a "grown architecture" and uses
an Jetty with Jersey for JAX-RS, Grizzly with Metro for JAX-WS and Netty for WebSockets, all
servers running on different ports...

> Cheers,
> Daniel
>
> On 04.01.2013, at 11:37, Sergey Beryozkin wrote:
>
>> Hi Daniel,
>>
>> On 04/01/13 13:14, Daniel Bimschas wrote:
>>> Hi there and a happy new year to all of you!
>>>
>> Same to you!
>>> I'm new to CXF and currently trying to run all APIs of my application on top
of CXF (JAX-WS, JAX-RS and WebSocket API). Until now, I couldn't find out if there's support
for WebSockets in CXF. Is there any?

>>> Being executed in the embedded Jetty it shouldn't be a problem technically...
I would also be happy to just have an API to publish a WebSocketServlet directly in the embedded
Jetty.

>> I'm hoping this can be prioritized either in CXF 2.8.x or shortly afterwards, ideally
earlier than later,

>> Andrei wrote a very informative wiki page about creating custom transports,
>> http://cxf.apache.org/docs/custom-transport.html
>>
>> I guess supporting WebSockets would amount to creating a server-only transport; I'm
not sure yet if it would be better enhancing the existing CXF http-jetty transport instead
or not