cxf-users mailing list archives

From Sergey Beryozkin <sberyoz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Authorization with CXF and WSS4J?
Date Mon, 03 Sep 2012 11:08:52 GMT
Hi All,

On 31/08/12 10:38, Andrei Shakirin wrote:
> Hi Mickael,
>
> You are right, in current version SimpleAuthorizingInterceptor works only with prepared
SecurityContext (with resolved roles).

Yes, the precondition is that SecurityContext holds all the information
- if it does not then it can not be overridden

> Configured user roles map is checked only additionally to roles in context. You can restrict
access in configuration, but could not extend it.

Yes. I've added 'userRolesMap' while working on SAML authorization tests
(in scope of the JAX-RS security project).

We have an assertion coming in with claims allocating one or more roles
to the current Subject, these claims/roles are captured within the
current SecurityContext  - and SimpleAuthorizingInterceptor will only
let the request pass if the current SecurityContext returns true from
its isUserInRole.
Now, given that all the claims are coming from the remote entity (IDP,
possibly indirectly) and these roles belong to Subject irespectively of
what resource method the Subject ultimately invokes, it may make sense
to restrict the roles info in the context of the given resource method
invocation to a limited sub-set - guess something like that can be done
in the future with the access management tool.

So, userRolesMap is there to restrict the current SecurityContext

>  From my perspective it makes sense to add Boolean configuration option into SimpleAuthorizingInInterceptor
( like checkConfiguredRolesOnly). If it is activated, SimpleAuthorizingInterceptor will check
only configured roles, not Security Context. By default option should be switched off.

I wonder, should the original SecurityContext properly populated instead
? If it is a 2-way TLS, should the roles population be managed at say
the Tomcat level ?

> Now you have following options:
> 1) Set up your SecurityContext with appropriate roles.
>       1.1) In SecurityTokenService
>       1.2) In your interceptor (like JAASLoginInterceptor.java)
> 2) Subclass  AbstractAuthorizingInInterceptor with own one, and implement isUserInRole()
method that doesn't call super.isUserInRole().

Indeed, it's always possible to override/customize

Thanks, Sergey

> Regards,
> Andrei.

present in SimpleAuthorizingInterceptor at line 44 is never called in my configuration. This
is because the method isUserInRole defined in AbstractAuthorizingInterceptor is called just
before (line 39 of SimpleAuthorizingInterceptor) and return false, so the isUserInRole method
of SimpleAuthorizingInterceptor always returns false at line 40.

À : users@cxf.apache.org Objet : RE: Authorization with CXF and WSS4J?

> Hi Mickael,
>
>> After authentication takes place using the WSS4JInInterceptor, the
>> handleMessage method of SimpleAuthorizingInterceptor is invoked. I
>> don't understand why this configuration doesn't work. After
>> authentication is done, we know who is the caller according the the
>> information present in its certificate. Then, I would expect the
>> userRolesMap to be used, so that we can know what is(are) the role(s)
>> associated to this caller. And then, according to these caller's
>> associated roles and the invoked method's associated role, we are able
>> to say that the caller is authorized or not. I don't
>   >understand what SAML comes to solve here. Also, I still don't understand what is
the meaning of sending my role(s) as a caller, this is something
>> that should be determined by the server.
>
> Basically your configuration should work.
> Possible issue is that sc.getUserPrincipal().getName() is not the same as configured
user names: "client" and "admin".

À : users@cxf.apache.org Objet : RE: Authorization with CXF and WSS4J?

> Hi Mickael,
>
>> I know that I'm missing something here related to the
>> TAG_SAML_ASSERTION. Maybe the caller has to provide its role inside the
>> SOAP message? If yes, I don't understand why, the caller should only know its identity,
the roles is more for the server side which checks if the caller's identity is associated
to an expected roles.

> Yep, correct.
> SAML has extensions mechanism, where it is possible to define additional attribute statements.
> In some scenarios it is really the case that STS service not only authenticate the user
and issues SAML token with Authentication statement, but also maps user to role and inserts
role as attribute statement in SAML. STS service has appropriate claims/attribute statements
extensions points to do it (see as sample http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cxf/trunk/services/sts/sts-core/src/test/java/org/apache/cxf/sts/common/CustomClaimsHandler.java
).
> Therefore WSS4JInInterceptors tries to get roles from the SAML.
>
> You can follow this approach and extend STS to do user ->  roles mapping.
> Other option is to do it in own interceptor. As basis you can look JAASLoginInterceptor
and RolePrefixedSecurityContextImpl that just adds ROLE_ prefix to user name and interprets
it as role (http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cxf/trunk/rt/core/src/main/java/org/apache/cxf/interceptor/security/JAASLoginInterceptor.java
).

> Regards,
> Andrei.

result, at line 482, the condition o.get(WSSecurityEngineResult.TAG_SAML_ASSERTION) != null
is false for me, so the createSecurityContext method is called without the roles (which causes
to call createSecurityContext with null roles). So, when sc.isUserInRole(role) is called in
AbstractAuthorizingInterceptor at line 100, it always returns false, so the call to isUserInRole(sc,
expectedRoles, false) in AbstractAuthorizingInterceptor at line 84 also returns false, and
the client is then never authorized.

> I know that I'm missing something here related to the TAG_SAML_ASSERTION. Maybe the caller
has to provide its role inside the SOAP message? If yes, I don't understand why, the caller
should only know its identity, the roles is more for the server side which checks if the caller's
identity is associated to an expected roles.

> Thanks,
> Mickael

map. Interceptor validates does user in given role have permissions to accessing method.

> There is the sample configuration in
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/cxf/trunk/systests/jaxrs/src/test/resources/jaxrs_jaas_security/WEB-INF/beans.xml
>
> It can be a good starting point for your task.
>
> Regards,
> Andrei.

anything on the CXF documentation, nor on the web. I would like to define roles, and to specify
for each web method which roles are authorized...
> I've looked at the different WS-* support in the doc, especially WS-Security, WS-SecurityPolicy
and WS-Policy but I don't understand how these can be use for authorization.

--
Sergey Beryozkin

Talend Community Coders
http://coders.talend.com/