cxf-users mailing list archives

From Glyn Normington <gnorming...@vmware.com>
Subject Re: Problem stopping CXF - NPE in ConfigurationManager.stop
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2012 10:55:29 GMT
Hi Sergey

On 5 Apr 2012, at 16:51, Sergey Beryozkin wrote:

> Hi Glyn
>
> On 05/04/12 18:39, Glyn Normington wrote:
>> I thought I'd try running CXF distributed OSGi on Eclipse Virgo and got it working
painlessly, so thanks for some nice documentation!

>> However, I did notice an issue with the greeter demo. If I stop (or even uninstall)
the greeter impl, the remote service is still remotely invokable. I guess the service object
is cached inside CXF, but can someone confirm this is working as designed?

> Indirectly yes, when the endpoint is created,
>>
>> But when I stopped the CXF bundle, the remote service was again still invokable,
so it seems that the CXF stop doesn't cleanly terminate the underlying Jetty instance. Perhaps
this is due to a NPE I observed:

After more digging, it looks like the NPE is probably fixed by https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-2813
in Felix config admin 1.4.0. So I raised the this bug to cover the upgrade: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DOSGI-117

>> Any ideas whether this really is the cause of the remote service continuing to run
after CXF is stopped?

> Not really :-)

The AggregatedActivator.stopEmbeddedActivators method (below) doesn't have any exception handling,
so the above NPE will abort the loop. Since this is stop processing, would it make sense to
catch/log exceptions and continue the loop?

    void stopEmbeddedActivators(BundleContext ctx) throws Exception {
        for (BundleActivator ba : activators) {
            ba.stop(ctx);
        }
    }

>> Environment:
>> CXF single bundle distribution 1.3.0
>> ZooKeeper 3.4.3
>> java version "1.6.0_29"
>> Mac OS X 10.7.3
>>
>> Regards,
>> Glyn
>> PS. I am about to go off for Easter, so I apologise in advance for not being able
to handle any response before Tuesday.

> Enjoy :-)
> FYI, ideally a patch would be provided to get a speedy resolution to this issue, the
reported issues will be reviewed and as many as realistically possible will be resolved in
time for the next release, but having a patch submitted is definitely the fastest way to get
it resolved :-)

> Cheers, Sergey
>

> --
> Sergey Beryozkin