cxf-users mailing list archives

From Sergey Beryozkin <sberyoz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Attaching digital signature to a server response
Date Sun, 08 Jan 2012 20:13:07 GMT
Hi

On 06/01/12 20:40, VirtuallyReal wrote:

>> Can you explain please a bit how do you attach an entity signature in
>> case of files and POJOs; I'm presuming that in the former case it is
>>    another (multi)part but what about the latter ?
>>    The reason I ask is that in CXF 2.5.0 we offer some initial support for
>>    signing XML payloads, see:
>>    http://cxf.apache.org/docs/jax-rs-xml-security.html#JAX-RSXMLSecurity-XMLSignature
>

> Sure thing. Actually there were a few changes since I sent the earlier message. I am
able to extract the response and add headers to it, but I am getting some other issues, which
I will come to later.

> I put two outgoing message interceptors. The first one is (similar to org.apache.cxf.interceptor.LoggingOutInterceptor),
puts a specialized (pass through and cache) OutputStream and stores its address in the message
with a special key. This is done at a really early phase, I chose PREPARE_SEND.

> The second interceptor comes into the picture in POST_MARSHAL. It first signs the headers
in a specific order and format, and puts the signature as a new header in to the *RESPONSE*.
Then it picks the stashed stream, extract its content signing it, and that signature as well
in the response. I am highlighting the response, because at that point the headers are already
flushed to the response, and unless the new headers are put in there, they will not be picked.

> Finally, the closure of the stream added by the PREPARE_SEND interceptor restores the
original stream to its location.

> Note that a POJO and a stream appear the same to the POST_MARSHAL interceptor. As an
optimization, I will store the signature of a file along with the file, but that is just an
optimization.

> So, this way, I can put two signatures in headers (not multiparts). One for the body,
one for the headers itself.

I can see the advantage of putting the signatures into headers, it is
probably simpler for a client to deal with them this way.
The solution looks neat to me.
However I'd still consider providing some support for the enveloped
signatures on the server side, for POJOs...
What I can see from XML Sig or from the JWT effort or even Magic
signatures, the data payloads typically have the signatures enveloped.
Likewise, making it easy to get the signature shipped as a sibling
multipart would be of interest, for binary payloads.

> The issue I am facing has changed since. I realized that when the POJO (not that I have
any), or the stream is larger than 64K (just because this is the number I picked for my specialized
stream), a portion of the message gets flushed, the headers first (I.e., headers get committed).
In that case, attaching a signature for the content becomes impossible, since the headers
are gone before the signature is ready. I do not know what to do about it yet. I have been
looking into returning multipart, but could not find any example of this. If I do find that,
I can send the signature as another part of the message. Any help there will be appreciated.

When you deal with file payloads, can you calculate the signature inside
the application code itself, given that the stream is cached anyway by
the custom interceptors and then use JAX-RS Response to set headers and
the InputStream or may be StreamingOutput as an entity ?

You can also consider returning a multipart, see this page for more info:
http://cxf.apache.org/docs/jax-rs-multiparts.html

Let me know how it goes please

Cheers, Sergey