cxf-users mailing list archives

From Ron Grimes <rgri...@sinclairoil.com>
Subject RE: What business are using SOAP/WSDL web services?
Date Sun, 25 Dec 2011 21:47:19 GMT
We use SOAP exclusively where I work (a multi-industry enterprise consisting of oil & gas,
hospitality, ski resorts, and cattle ranches).

But then, we chose that clear back in 2001 when RESTful web services had only been published
in a doctoral thesis by Roy Fielding a year earlier. So, I must admit that, when we chose
SOAP, REST really wasn't a well-known or viable option. So, my experience is the opposite
of yours: I have never run across a situation where SOAP/WSDL wouldn't handle the job, and
so I've never seen a need to convert to a RESTful architecture.

I'm not sure where you get the "quite rare" usage of SOAP. Per http://www.slideshare.net/jmusser/open-api-ecosystem-overview-december-2010
, SOAP still is used by 15% of the market. But, when you consider that the vast majority of
web applications don't require the passing of sets of complex objects, it's no surprise that
REST dominates. Still, for those of us who require a more strongly-typed contract with secure,
reliable, atomic messaging that better supports complex nested entities, then SOAP is a better
solution....in my opinion.

R. Grimes

From: Rice Yeh [riceyeh@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, December 25, 2011 11:54 AM
To: users@cxf.apache.org
Subject: What business are using SOAP/WSDL web services?

Hi,
  Maybe my question is not really related to CXF, but I think people here
can answer my question. I have been using CXF  JAXRS for 3 years and have
learned SOAP and WSDL stuff for more than 5 years. However, I have never
have a chance to implement a JAXWS project. For me, WSDL/SOAP applications
seem quite rare. In my real world, there is no project demanding us to use
them. Just wonder what business are using SOAP/WSDL web services?

Rice