cxf-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What business are using SOAP/WSDL web services?
Date Tue, 27 Dec 2011 03:58:21 GMT
On Monday, December 26, 2011 2:54:08 AM Rice Yeh wrote:
> Hi,
>   Maybe my question is not really related to CXF, but I think people here
> can answer my question. I have been using CXF  JAXRS for 3 years and have
> learned SOAP and WSDL stuff for more than 5 years. However, I have never
> have a chance to implement a JAXWS project. For me, WSDL/SOAP applications
> seem quite rare. In my real world, there is no project demanding us to use
> them. Just wonder what business are using SOAP/WSDL web services?

As Ron said, it really depends on the industry, specifications that they use,
the "age" of the specifications, security requirements, etc....

A lot of things are "soap only" at this point due to the richer security
capabilities that are well defined with SOAP (WS-Security related specs) that
really are only starting to show up in REST tool kits.   Things like SAML
integrations and stuff are just starting to have solutions in REST, but they
are well known on how they work with SOAP.

In any case, both REST and SOAP have their uses.   To me, it's great that CXF
can provide top notch solutions for both styles.

--
Daniel Kulp