cxf-users mailing list archives

From Dennis Sosnoski <...@sosnoski.com>
Subject Re: SOAP Web Service Versioning
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2011 06:04:20 GMT
Hi Christian,

It's true that JAXB ignores schemas by default, just matching elements
by name and ignoring any extra (or missing) ones. But if you start
developing web services on this basis you're setting yourself up for
problems. You may test code using your sloppy JAXB code and think that
everything is fine, then deploy into production and find that everything
breaks when working with software that actually pays attention to the
schema.

The principle of being strict in what you send, open in what you expect,
is what led to the browser wars on the web. Each browser implemented its
own way of handling things which weren't correct, so web sites might
look good with one browser but not with another. We'd all have been much
better off if the browser builders had all agreed to just reject
anything which was not correct. XML is rigidly structured and
unforgiving of deviations in order to avoid this type of problem.

  - Dennis