cxf-users mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: SOAP Web Service Versioning
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2011 05:43:10 GMT
Hi Derek,

I used the xsd:any element for some time. The problem is that it create
a lot of problems parsing the xml. Additionally it adds an unnatural
element to the data types that makes your schemas more difficult to read.

Then I remembered an early principle of the internet. Be strict in what
you send, be open in what you expect. So for services this means when
sending out always make sure you follow the schema of the service version
you implement. When receiving a message try to process it even if it is
not completely correct.
So in the end I went with the easiest way to simply not use validation.
You have to write a set of tests for your services anyway as validation
can not find a big part of the errors. Without validation many of the
problems simply go away.

For example if you have a new element in a type and a newer sender sends
it to an old service provider then cxf will just ignore the unknown
element on the receiver side. So if the rest of the data still forms a
usable request in the old schema then he old impl can simply process it.
So by using this you can make many seemly incompatible changes compatible.

Christian