cxf-users mailing list archives

From Sven Zethelius <sv...@expedia.com>
Subject RE: JAXB+GZIPFeature - performance
Date Wed, 18 May 2011 20:19:32 GMT
Yep, that's actually how we noticed the big difference.  The custom DataBinding we have used
to just do the marshal(Object, OutputStream) form, but then when we moved it to XMLStreamWriter
to work with SOAP, we saw the huge difference.

Let me see if I can put together a sample that demonstrates.  It'll probably take me a few
days to find the free time though.

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Kulp [mailto:dkulp@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 1:10 PM
To: users@cxf.apache.org
Cc: Sven Zethelius
Subject: Re: JAXB+GZIPFeature - performance

As Willem suggested, a patch to the GZIP interceptors to wrapper with a
buffered stream would be more than welcome.

One note: however, is that it may not provide a huge advantage with "native"
CXF+JAXB.   Under many circumstances, we don't call
Marshaller.marshal(Object, XMLStreamWriter)

and instead call:
Marshaller.marshal(Object, OutputStream)

to write directly to the outputstream.   When you do that, JAXB itself does a
bunch of buffering and optimizations and stuff which may be why we haven't
seen a need for it.

That said, the extra Buffered stream likely wouldn't hurt even for that case.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org