cxf-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CXF in Action
Date Mon, 13 Dec 2010 20:26:08 GMT

Here is my point of view:  (in bullets)

1) There are two fairly good books already available that can help beginners
get over the hump and start working with CXF.   While not as "all encompasing"
as a potential "in action" book written by the developers, they provide a very
good starting point.

2) We do have "decent" documentation already.   I won't kid anyone and say
it's great, but there is a lot of info there.   We also have a bunch of
examples in the kits and such that go even furthur.

3) Writing a book takes a LOT of time.  I'd much rather spend my time actually
working in the code and participating on this list and such.  I've been
approached a couple time by various publisher about writing a book and it's
just not something I WANT to spend my time doing.

4) You won't really make any money writing a book.  If I'm going to pretty
much donate time doing what is essentially documentation, I might as well just
update the official docs on our web site.   That information would then be
available to everyone, not just the small number of people that would buy the
book.

Anyway, that is all my opinion.   If someone DID want to write a book, I would
be more than happy to be a technical reviewer and would even be willing to
help out writing some of the code examples or snippets and such.   However,
it's just not something I would pursue myself.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org