cxf-users mailing list archives

From Villoud Pierre Julien <pierre-julien.vill...@atosorigin.com>
Subject RE: Using CXF asynchronously
Date Tue, 09 Nov 2010 17:46:19 GMT
About asynchronism, I'm using the asynchronism mecanism of CXF by calling the invoke method
like that :

client.invoke(new ClientCallback(), "methodName", params...);

And after a while, I'm getting Out of Memory errors and cxf is complaining about not being
able to create a new thread... I must restart the service to purge the memory. Is is possible
de call the invoke method and not expects a callback, for instance by calling :

client.invoke(null, "methodName", params...);

Is this method creating a new thread for each callback, and since mine is not used, stays
in memory ?

Thanks in advance

Pierre-Julien

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Steve Cohen [mailto:scohen@javactivity.org]
Envoyé : mardi 9 novembre 2010 18:12
À : users@cxf.apache.org
Objet : Using CXF asynchronously

The company I work for is rearchitecting operator workstations for a
legacy telephony application.

The legacy workstation still runs on MS-DOS(!) and communicates with a
legacy backend, both client and server written in C.  The "interface"
such as it is, is a bunch of C header files.  Data is passed by datagram
between client and server and the headers are needed on both sides to
make sense of the data.  Since none of the people who developed this 20
years ago will be around, maintenance is a nightmare.

Probably because of its origins in a pre-multithreading universe, this
system was developed using primarily asynchronous methods.  Client sends
a datagram to server, makes no attempt to wait for a return.  Server
periodically sends "synchronization" messages to client (sometimes
triggered by the results of methods invoked by the datagrams from the
client).  These synchronization methods are also by datagram.

Since the server-side is NOT going to be totally rewritten. and must,
after the rewrite, continue to support the old operator workstations as
well as the new ones, the scheme I am thinking of is as follows:

1). add an Apache Web Server to the server and a CXF wrapper around the
existing server functionality.

2) rewrite the Client as a java swing application that encompasses a CXF
client.

3) each operation now initiated from the client will be an asynchronous
Web Service call.  These calls would be one-way

4) to handle the synchronization requirement mentioned above, I am
envisioning a separate thread in the client that makes an asynchronous
"RegisterForSynchMessages()" call to the server.  This would be polled
continually and would expect REPEATED messages through this channel.
That is, the server side handler for this call must continue to run even
after it sends a response.  It will never complete and must continue to
send such responses back through the channel.

Is this achievable using CXF's asynchronous support?

Ce message et les pièces jointes sont confidentiels et réservés à l'usage exclusif de
ses destinataires. Il peut également être protégé par le secret professionnel. Si vous
recevez ce message par erreur, merci d'en avertir immédiatement l'expéditeur et de le détruire.
L'intégrité du message ne pouvant être assurée sur Internet, la responsabilité du groupe
Atos Origin ne pourra être recherchée quant au contenu de ce message. Bien que les meilleurs
efforts soient faits pour maintenir cette transmission exempte de tout virus, l'expéditeur
ne donne aucune garantie à cet égard et sa responsabilité ne saurait être recherchée
pour tout dommage résultant d'un virus transmis.

This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee;
and destroy it. As its integrity cannot be secured on the Internet, the Atos Origin group
liability cannot be triggered for the message content. Although the sender endeavours to maintain
a computer virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this transmission is virus-free
and will not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.