cxf-users mailing list archives

From David Bosschaert <david.bosscha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DOSGi wsdl-first approach
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2010 14:09:46 GMT
On 15 October 2010 14:51, Daniel Kulp <dkulp@apache.org> wrote:
> On Friday 15 October 2010 5:57:55 am David Bosschaert wrote:
>> On 15 October 2010 10:48, Ronald Müller <r.mueller@unicomp-berlin.de> wrote:
>> > Finally i solved my issue by kicking the following bundles:
>> >
>> > * geronimo-activation_1.1_spec-1.0.2.jar
>> > * org.apache.servicemix.bundles.jaxb-impl-2.1.6_1.jar
>> > * org.apache.servicemix.specs.jaxb-api-2.1-1.3.0.jar
>> > * org.apache.servicemix.specs.stax-api-1.0-1.3.0.jar
>> >
>> > out of the cxf-dosgi-singlebundle.jar, as these are also provided by the
>> > JDK6. So i configured the bootdelegation-property as following:
>> >
>> > org.osgi.framework.bootdelegation=com.sun.*,javax.xml.bind.*,javax.activa
>> > tion.*,javax.xml.stream.*
>> >
>> > And it just works now :-) !
>>
>> That's excellent news! Does anyone know whether these bundles actually
>> provide any value for JSE 6 users? You obviously need them for JSE 5
>> but I'm wondering do we really need to support JSE 5 in our releases
>> given that JSE 5 reached end of life about a year ago?
>
> jaxb-impl COULD, but not the servicemix version.   The version in the modern
> JDK's is 2.1.10 which is newer than the smx version anyway.   HOWEVER, there
> are some major bugs fixed in 2.1.13 which is why CXF 2.3.0 always depends on
> it.
>
> CXF 2.3.0, when using Java6 and Maven, won't bring in many of the things that
> are built into the JDK.   Things like saaj, activation, etc... are not
> dependencies anymore as the JDK provides them.  The two major execptions are:
> 1) jaxb-impl (see above)
> 2) woodstox - the Stax parser built into the JDK sucks.   It's slow and buggy.
> Using woodstox is SOOOO much better.
>
> Due to zookeeper, DOSGi doesn't really support Java5 anyway.  Thus, I'd say
> for DOSGi 1.3, we should just drop support for Java5 and remove the bundles
> that are no longer necessary.

Sounds good to me!

BTW zookeeper is only used in the optional discovery component. You
can actually use the bulk of DOSGi with Java 5 if you wanted to. You
would just not get dynamic remote discovery (although you could take a
Java 5 compatible discovery service from somewhere else).

Best regards,

David