cxf-users mailing list archives

From Paul Lowry <plo...@progress.com>
Subject Advice re generating JAX-B and JAX-WS annotations
Date Wed, 26 May 2010 17:54:53 GMT
Hi,

I am trying to expose several plain Java interfaces as web services, using CXF / java2ws /
wsdl2java.

My original plan was to...

(1)    use java2ws generate WSDL and XSD files from the existing POJO classes

(2)    use wsdl2java to generate new Java sources containing JAX-WS and JAX-B annotations

(3)    implement web services using these generated files

However, I found that there are many types missing from the generated XSD files, because they
are not included in the JAX-B mapping.
http://java.sun.com/javaee/5/docs/tutorial/doc/bnazq.html#bnazw

So I adjusted my plan...

(1)    use java2ws generate WSDL and XSD files from the existing POJO classes

(2)    modify the generated XSD files by hand, to include XML representations of the unsupported
Java types

(3)    write a JAX-B binding extensions XML file, so that wsdl2java would know how to handle
the additional types

(4)    use wsdl2java to generate new Java sources containing JAX-WS and JAX-B annotations

(5)    implement web services using these generated files

However, now I hear that the JAX-B mapping does not (yet) support any representation of java.util.Map,
which is one of the types in my original POJO files.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1881712/is-it-possible-to-use-jaxb-to-map-from-schema-to-a-java-util-map

So please tell me:

-          is there any way I can do this, which involves modifying the output of java2ws,
or extending the capabilities of java2ws and wsdl2java?

-          or... must I add JAX-B annotations to the original Java files? is there any tool
that might speed up this painstaking work?

-          or... can you suggest an alternative approach?

Thanks & Regards,
Paul