cxf-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Bimschas <bimsc...@itm.uni-luebeck.de>
Subject Re: Minimum set of CXF OSGi bundles required for JAX-WS
Date Tue, 02 Feb 2010 09:44:44 GMT
Am 02.02.2010 um 10:15 schrieb Sergey Beryozkin:

> Hi
>
> I've been thinking for a while about adding an activator and doing something similar
to what you suggested, but every time I realize it is exactly what DOSGI RI does.

> After all, DOSGI is an osgi-fied set of jars listed in the WHICH_JARS file (possibly
with few exceptions). If you look at the CXF DSW source then you can see it uses a ServiceListener
(or ServiceTracker ?) to react to the OSGI service registrations. It requires that a service
which is being registered has (dosgi-related) properties set to give it a hint how to expose
the service...

Well, that was exactly my guess... that DOSGi does that thing ;-)

> What is your opinion ? Do you think there's a possibility out there to extend the CXF
itself too, without duplicating what DOSGI RI does ?

I have a more general problem. I think that, generally speaking, there are so many libs out
there that are not OSGi-aware for various reasons. Surely, as I'm using OSGi I would love
to have that changed to as many libs as possible. I see the inherent problem that the people
working on these projects might have nothing to do with OSGi at all. Because of that, there
are many projects (such as DOSGi) bundling those APIs for some specific use case but often
also not contributing OSGi-fication to the libs they use.

For example, DOSGI does a lot more than simply providing a JAX-WS implementation, while I
currently only need a plain JAX-WS implementation that is OSGi-capable. Therefore I ideally
wouldn't want to use the shotgun approach and use DOSGI just to provide one or two web service
endpoints. It would be nicer to be using only the minimal set of functionality that is really
required. When I started using OSGI I thought that this is exactly what OSGI besides other
things stands for. Custom tailored lean software.

So, regarding your question if CXF itself could be extended I would say that making the CXF
bundles themselves OSGi-aware and providing e.g. service listeners would help. But... maybe
I'm totally wrong in my understanding and that's already possible, e.g. by using a specific
set of bundles of DOSGI?!

Regards,
Daniel

> Cheers, Sergey

use these there surely must be one bundle listening for service registrations that e.g. contains
JAX-WS annotations to register them with the servlet container and so on.

> For DOSGi itself I know of the ways making it work.
>
> Regards,
> Daniel
>
> Am 02.02.2010 um 00:29 schrieb Sergey Beryozkin:
>
>> Can you clarify please ?
>>
>> With DOSGI you just register an OSGI service and it will be exposed as needed...
>>
>> Cheers, Sergey

Could I do that over the service registry or by calling some API methods of one of these bundles?

>> Daniel

>>> Not all of them are, no.  You would need to check the equivalent bundle for
>>> which each of those jars should have one.
>>>
>>> Dan

RI

VM and