cxf-users mailing list archives

From Josh Holtzman <jholtz...@berkeley.edu>
Subject Re: Configuring DOSGI to use JAX-WS
Date Tue, 12 May 2009 13:55:45 GMT
Hi Eoghan,
Yes, it would most likely require JAX-WS annotations on the service
interfaces rather than the impl classes, but IMHO it doesn't break the
OSGI service model.  Perhaps I should explain my use case.

We are building an open source system that must be able to operate in
both a co-located (one JVM) and distributed topology.  For the
co-located flavor, we don't want to incur the overhead of web service
serialization... we want direct access to the java services as they were
published to the OSGI service registry.  For the distributed topology,
we want to allow adopting institutions to swap out individual services
for their own implementations in other languages.  And finally, we want
our service clients to be ignorant of the current topology.  Service
developers should enable their services to be available remotely (by
publishing with the osgi.remote property and using JAX-WS annotations),
but should not necessarily expect the services to be remote.

Providing a JAX-WS configuration option shouldn't impact folks wanting
to stick with aegis/simple.  But it does allow projects that want all of
the benefits of DOSGI to make their web service contracts usable outside
of the CXF world.

Thanks,
Josh