cxf-users mailing list archives

From Nerijus Areska <nerijus.are...@gmail.com>
Subject CXF 2.2 (or 2.1) fault on response results in empty response on Websphere 6.1
Date Thu, 16 Apr 2009 13:13:04 GMT

I believe this should happen on Websphere or any other Servlet spec 2.3+
compliant web server.

I get an empty response from CXF, when trying to return non-valid response (
blank mandatory field or similar, CXF has validating mode switched on ).
I debugged my application for a while and found out, that CXF gets a fault
in BareOutInterceptor in marshal phase, then unwinds all other interceptors,
creates a new chain and invokes that. The message still remains the same and
keeps some cached resources/data inside ( like XMLStreamWriter ).
In the next chain, producing fault output, MessageSenderEndingInterceptor,
when handling the message, invokes response.setStatus(500), before flushing
the outputStream. In normal case( e.g. user exception ), it would not do
that( Actually we end up with two wrapper streams in this chain, which later
causes some method calls resulting in setStatus(500) ). Now servlet
specification says, that setStatus(int) should clear the buffers, which of
course looses my response.
Tomcat, Glassfish, and probably several others skip this requirement and do
not clear the buffers, which then works ok. Websphere follows specification
strictly at this point, and thus looses the data.

I wrote a simple interceptor, fixing this problem for me, though i am not
sure about any side effects. I invoke it in Fault chain

 public class ClearOutputStreamInterceptor extends AbstractSoapInterceptor {

  public ClearOutputStreamInterceptor(Bus b) {
    super(Phase.PREPARE_SEND);
    getBefore().add(MessageSenderInterceptor.class.getName());
  }

  public void handleMessage(SoapMessage message) {
    message.setContent(XMLStreamWriter.class, null);
    message.put("wrote.envelope.start", null);
  }

}