cxf-users mailing list archives

From "Sergey Beryozkin" <sergey.beryoz...@progress.com>
Subject Re: Need Maven dependencies for CXF 2.2 using Jax-rs
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2008 11:57:17 GMT
Hi

> All,
>
> If anyone knows the required dependencies (and versions), and any
> required repositories to build CXF 2.2 with Jax-RS (RESTful services)
> using Maven, I'd greatly appreciate it.

As far as CXF is concerned, in 2.2-SNAPSHOT, compared to versions starting from 2.1.2, the
following dependencies have changed :

1. javax.ws.rs/jsr311-api/0.8 -> javax.ws.rs/jsr311-api/1.0

it's available from

<repository>
            <id>java.net.2</id>
            <name>Java Net 2 Repository</name>
            <url>http://download.java.net/maven/2</url>
</repository>

AFAIK, JAXRS team have changed the maven repo starting from 0.8, so if you're migrating from
CXF with versions earlier than 2.1.2
you might see artifact download problems.

2. org.apache.cxf/cxf-rt-databinding-aegis/2.2-SNAPSHOT added - compile

Some other changes across CXF (http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cxf/trunk/parent/pom.xml)

- Spring dependencies have changed from 2.0.8 in 2.1.x to 2.5.6
- javax.xml.bind/jaxb-api/2.1
- com.sun.xml.bind/jaxb-impl/2.1.7

I'm not aware of any other significant changes which might affect JAXRS implementation.
Does it help ? Any specific problems you're still seeing ?

> A kind suggestion: I've been using CXF and Jax-RS stuff for around a
> year now

thanks :-) !

. and every time there's been a mild breeze blow which has in
> any way affected CXF configuration or building in Maven, simple
> upgrading to the latest version has resulted in a several day plunge
> down the rabbit hole to figure out how to build / configure again. It
> would be a great improvement to the release process if at the very
> least the build / configuration documentation was updated with the
> latest release. Restated, don't release the code without the build /
> configuration doc updated.

Your suggestions are welcome and we'll try do do it right for 2.2 once it's released. I think
Dan is doing a lot of work in this
regard but capturing version and repository changes would be good indeed.
In meantime please send a message to a user list whenever you have any issues and we'll try
our best to help.

> When confronted with this yet again today,
> despite the fact I have no need or desire to move away from CXF, I
> spent several hours researching alternatives so that I could avoid
> having to go through this again.

I'd really hate to see users like yourself who've helped us to push CXF JAX-RS implementation
to its current level go (still not
rock-solid but in a much better shape than it used to be), same way as I hate seeing users
who've just quickly tried it and decided
to look elsewhere. From our perspective we know though that users are totally free to choose
so we have really one option - just
keep working and make it work well and I know we'll get there. It's important for users to
understand that we're committed to seeing
CXF as a platform capable of accommodating and mixing different styles of services. Likewise
we'll think hard on how to make CXF
JAXRS 'shine' on its own. There's only one problem - lack of resources - for ex I'm not able
to allocate 100% of my time to JAXRS
work so that's why users have to struggle with figuring out themselves how to update dependencies/etc.

But as I said, your comments are helpful and we'll take them on board.

Thanks, Sergey