cxf-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Endpoint#stop() does not close opened port and what happen to received requests when it is called?
Date Fri, 23 May 2008 02:55:48 GMT

We've had major problems with Jetty with shutting down the port and
then retrying to restart it immediately.
If we tried to cycle things quickly (like a shutdown of one service
and than immediately a publish of another on the same port), then
requests to the second service sometimes wouldn't get there.   Caveat:
I'm not sure if the latest Jetty versions have fixed that.

In general, we leave it open as that was the only way to make sure we
can reliably get the messages.    To completely shut it down, you need
to shutdown the bus.  BusFactory.getDefaultBus().shutdown(true);
should completely shutdown everything.

To answer your other questions, when you stop a service, all that
happens is that the Handler is unregistered with Jetty.  Thus,
requests that have already been dispatched to the handler will
continue.   Future requests would get a 404.

Dan

On May 22, 2008, at 9:31 AM, Kjell Winblad wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have two question regarding the closing of services. I have made an
> user interface for a webservice and it shall be possible to start and
> stop the service from the interface. I use the following code to
> create
> and publish the service:
>
> import javax.xml.ws.Endpoint;
> import org.apache.cxf.jaxws.EndpointImpl;

> GreeterImpl serverImpl = new GreeterImpl()
> Endpoint end = Endpoint.create(serverImpl);
> EndpointImpl endpoint = (EndpointImpl) end;
> endpoint.setWsdlLocation(wsdlfile);
> end.publish("http://localhost:6002/WS");
>
> The server uses HTTP as transport and works great. When I check the
> opened ports on my machine I can see that CXF has opened the port I
> specified in my publish address. The problem occures when I try to
> stop
> the service. I use the the method stop() on my endpont instance. No
> exceptions are thrown and it isn't possible to send requests to the
> service anymore. So, the stop method seems to work but the opened port
> is still open. What is supposed to happen when stop() is called on an
> Endpoint, shall the associated port close? If it shall stay open how
> do
> I close a port that has been opened by the Endpoint#publish() method?
>
> The second question is:
> What happens with received but not processed requests when
> Endpoint#stop() is called? Before the service is stopped I want to be
> sure that response messages for all the requests that already have
> been
> recived to the service have been sent. So, does the Endpoint#stop()
> method wait until all response messages for incoming request have been
> sent before it stops the service?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Kjell Winblad

---