cxf-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: do i need ContextLoaderListener?
Date Wed, 14 May 2008 15:27:42 GMT

On May 14, 2008, at 10:57 AM, Eoghan Glynn wrote:
> Its also worth noting that you should use the spring context loader
> listener approach if one of your beans has a dependency on the "cxf"
> Bus bean (for example takes a reference to this bean via a property).
>
> AFAIK it may lead to some confusing side-effects if you take the
> simpler approach of defining a cxf-servlet.xml and pulling in
> everything by default.

Right, this is the full symptom of my comment about "since cxf-
servlet.xml is processed in a child context, some things don't get
injected quite the same as the definitions in the parent context
aren't available in the subcontext".    Basically, definitions by name/
id from the parent context are not available when processing the child
context.   You can probably get around the "Bus" issue by creating a
spring bean definition for a bus that calls the
"BusFactory.getThreadDefaultBus()" for the factory method to grab the
Bus that was created from the first part, but pretty much anything
else that may be needed inthe parent context aren't available either.

Still, it's not ideal (actually, a little sucky) and I'd definitely
recommend the context listener approach unless the needs are very
simplistic.  Most pure jaxws things with no CXF specific stuff would
qualify.   FYI: the JAX-WS TCK setup we currently use uses the non-
context listener approach which is why I'm pretty sure most "pure
jaxws" things can work that way.

That said, one of the "problems" with the context-listener approach is
that we don't document (very well) the full list of stuff that can be
imported.   For example, if you need ws-addressing or ws-rm, you need
to import those cxf-extension things, but I'm not sure how well that's
documented.   With 2.0.6/2.1, we do have a cxf-all.xml (in the bundle
jar only) that you can use to get everything, but then you have the
downside of the startup/memory usage.    We probably need a page on
the docs to document them all.   For example, the cxf-all contains:

     <import resource="classpath:META-INF/cxf/cxf.xml"/>
     <import resource="classpath:META-INF/cxf/cxf-extension-corba.xml"/>
     <import resource="classpath:META-INF/cxf/cxf-extension-jaxws.xml"/>
     <import resource="classpath:META-INF/cxf/cxf-extension-soap.xml"/>
     <import resource="classpath:META-INF/cxf/cxf-extension-xml.xml"/>
     <import resource="classpath:META-INF/cxf/cxf-extension-addr.xml"/>
     <import resource="classpath:META-INF/cxf/cxf-extension-javascript-
client.xml"/>
     <import resource="classpath:META-INF/cxf/cxf-extension-local.xml"/>
     <import resource="classpath:META-INF/cxf/cxf-extension-
management.xml"/>
     <import resource="classpath:META-INF/cxf/cxf-extension-http-
jetty.xml"/>
     <import resource="classpath:META-INF/cxf/cxf-extension-jms.xml"/>
     <import resource="classpath:META-INF/cxf/cxf-extension-object-
binding.xml"/>
     <import resource="classpath:META-INF/cxf/cxf-extension-http-
binding.xml"/>
     <import resource="classpath:META-INF/cxf/cxf-extension-jaxrs-
binding.xml"/>
     <import resource="classpath:META-INF/cxf/cxf-extension-
policy.xml"/>
     <import resource="classpath:META-INF/cxf/cxf-extension-rm.xml"/>

And that doesn't include the cxf-extension-http or others that the
above may be importing.  (http-jetty imports http).

Dan

>>> users@cxf.apache.org
>>> cc
>>>
>>> Subject
>>> Re: do i need ContextLoaderListener?
>>>

>>> If you are using a cxf-servlet.xml type thing to define your
>>> endpoint
>>> beans, then no, you don't need it.
>>>
>>> Dan

>>> ---
>>> Daniel Kulp
>>> dkulp@apache.org
>>> http://www.dankulp.com/blog
>>>

>>> ---
>>>
>>> This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged
>>> information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have
>>> received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender
>>> immediately and delete this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying,
>>> disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is
>>> strictly forbidden.
>>>
>>> Please refer to http://www.db.com/en/content/eu_disclosures.htm
>>> for additional EU corporate and regulatory disclosures.
>> ---
>> Daniel Kulp
>> dkulp@apache.org
>> http://www.dankulp.com/blog

> Registered Number: 171387
> Registered Address: The IONA Building, Shelbourne Road, Dublin 4,
> Ireland

---
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org