cxf-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Problems with String[] and List<String> in Java-First Service
Date Fri, 18 May 2007 22:12:55 GMT

Chris,  (and Freeman)

This problem is exactly why the RI implementation requires you to run
wsgen on the "Java first" cases.   For wrapped doc/lit, that generates
the wrapper types which the runtime can use to handle the
marshalling/unmarshalling.

Without having the generated wrapper types, marshalling/unmarshalling
becomes a LOT more complex unless we completely change the generated
schema, but then we'll be in violation of the mapping sections of the
JAX-WS spec.   Basically, the schema we want is:
<xsd:element name="echoStringListResponse"
  type="echoStringListResponse"/>
  <xsd:complexType name="echoStringListResponse">
   <xsd:sequence>
     <xsd:element maxOccurs="unbounded" minOccurs="0" name="return"
  type="xsd:string"/>
   </xsd:sequence>
 </xsd:complexType>

When reading without the wrapper type, JAXB just reads one element at a
time.  Thus, when you pass in something like:
<arr:input>1</arr:input>
<arr:input>2</arr:input>
<arr:input>3</arr:input>
to unmarshal with String[] as the type, you actually get back a
String[0].  It doesn't read anything as jaxb is actually looking for
the "other" type that you saw generated in your schema.   (the "item"
element names)

The only option we really have is to "manually" read one element at a
time (checking for the qname and such) and building up the List or []
ourselves.   Same goes for writing.  We have to loop through the
array/list and write each out individually.

The work Freeman did doesn't solve the problem as it still cannot read
the correct messages.    It also changed the generated wsdl such that
it's not compatible with the spec.   Thus, we're going to have to back
that out.   I've started poking around a bit in the code to see what
will need to be done to get this working in the case where wrapper types
are not generated, but it's not going to be a quick/easy fix.

Btw: with the older code (before Freeman's changes), if you would have
run j->w and had it generate the wrappers and stuff, it probably would
have worked.

Dan

--
J. Daniel Kulp