cxf-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cxf packaging
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2007 13:47:40 GMT
On Tuesday 27 March 2007 08:31, Hani Suleiman wrote:
> On Mar 27, 2007, at 7:27 AM, Daniel Kulp wrote:
> > God no.   I can see api and rt-core being combined.  However, none
> > of the
> > other rt-* artifacts should be combined into it.   All of those are
> > modular for a reason and should stay that way.
>
> Why?

It makes dependency management MUCH easier.  It also specifically
prevents a lot of "bad practices".   By having each in a separate
module, it's completley impossible to produce a bunch of spegetti code
with circular references and such.   Every single time I've looked at a
project that tried to build things into one module, the code has been a
disaster.

> > The separation of API and CORE is mostly to aid in javadoc
> > generation. If someone can find a easy way to generate javadocs for
> > all the stuff in
> > api, but not the stuff in core if they are combined, fine.  However,
> > I don't consider a monser list of includes/excludes an "easy" way of
> > doing
> > it.
>
> It's not easy for the developers, but who is the majority in cxf, its
> developers or its users?

There are three categories of folks I need to keep in mind:

1) CXF developers - basically, the folks on cxf-dev that are in the core
writing stuff.

2) Basic "end user" type folks.   Most of these are happy with the JAX-WS
specification or the other "basic" info we have up on the Wiki.   (Well,
the stuff that Dan is working on getting on the wiki.   More work is
needed on this front.)

3) Advanced developers - these are the folks that are writing
interceptors, writing new bindings/transports, etc....    For these
folks, the javadocs in "api" are the important things.

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer