cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <>
Subject [DISCUSS] Status of 3.0.x...
Date Wed, 06 Sep 2017 18:36:59 GMT

Just wanted to start a quick discussion about 3.0.x.   We’ve historically done work on the
master and then supported two fixes branches.   With 3.2.0 being voted on now, I’m not sure
if we would branch the 3.2.x-fixes branch immediately or wait a bit (we have historically
waited a bit).   Are there major changes forthcoming that would warrant targeting 3.3 sooner?
  If not, I think I’d like to stick on master for at least one round of fixes just to stabilize
the 3.2.0 as users migrate.

In any case, we’ve now supported the 3.0.x series for 2 years, 4 months.      Would it make
sense to announce that 3.0.15 will be the final scheduled release off that branch?   Maybe
wait one more iteration?    We haven’t been back porting much anyway.    I grabbed the “central
download stats” from Nexus for the cxf-core module (pretty much any usage of CXF requires
that) just to get an idea of what is used.   The top 10 are:

3.0.3	18%
3.1.11	11%
3.1.6	10%
3.1.10	7%
3.1.12	6%
3.1.7	5%
3.1.8	5%
3.1.5	4%
3.1.4	4%
3.0.1	4%

As you can see, the only 3.0.x versions in the top 10 are 3.0.1 and 3.0.3.  Since they are
both ancient, I doubt anyone using them is planning on upgrading to new 3.0.x versions anyway.
  The good news is that the 3 latest 3.1.x versions are in the top 5.  Shows that the 3.1.x
folks are keeping up to date.    The last two 3.0.x releases (.13 and .14) are numbers 24
and 23 on the list.

Anway, curious as to peoples thoughts….

Daniel Kulp -
Talend Community Coder -