cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Andriy Redko <drr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Gitbox
Date Mon, 31 Jul 2017 14:35:16 GMT
Sounds like a really good idea, should improve the collaboration a lot I think.
Thanks for bringing this up, guys!

Best Regards,
    Andriy Redko

DK> To move this forward…..

DK> From my reading/investigation, the only “change” that would be required post migration
would be for everyone to
DK> update the URL’s for their repos in their clones. (Change git-wip.apache.org ->
gitbox.apache.org).   That’s it.   So the short term impact would be minimal.

DK> What we would gain includes:

DK> 1) writable GitHub repo -  instead of pushing to apache, you COULD push to GitHub.
 Not a big deal for anyone
DK> though.  Most of us just do “git push” and where it goes doesn’t really matter.

DK> 2) However, (1) allows using the “merge” button on the pull requests.   For simple
pull requests, this can be easier.

DK> 3) This also allows use of the “Close” button on the pull requests for requests
that won’t be merged.   No more “bogus/empty” commits to close a PR

DK> 4) It also would allow assigning reviewers and labels and such the PR’s.   We’ve
never really used those (since
DK> they aren’t usable right now), but they could be useful in the future.

DK> Anyway, would anyone object if I filed a ticket to migrate?   I don’t see any major
downsides as it’s just a URL
DK> change.   Do you think we need a formal vote or is a lazy-consensus ok?      That said,
even if we agree to file the ticket, it doesn’t mean INFRA will approve it.