cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject [Discuss] How do we remove the old logging
Date Mon, 13 Mar 2017 14:20:50 GMT
For some time now we have the new logging system (located in
rt/features/logging). I would like to discuss how we transition to the
new system.

I propose the following:

We deprecate all parts of the old logging system and define a CXF
version when it will be removed.
The new logging should completely life in the features/logging module.

I propose we remove the old logging either in CXF 3.3 or in CXF 4
depending if we plan to do a new major version in mid term (~ a year).

As soon as we decided which version to remove the logging in we should
document the planned removal in the javadoc of the entry points of
logging and on the website. So people will have an early warning.

Some implications when switching to the new system:

- When using the class switch to this class:
org.apache.cxf.ext.logging.LoggingFeature
- When using the annotation: Switch to org.apache.cxf.ext.logging.Logging
- The xml namespace will not exist in the new system. Use either the
class or the annotation
- Some configs of the old system will not exist in the new one. In
general it the new system should be more flexible though

Dan is following a slightly different style by for example reusing the
old @Logging annotation and not deprecating it. I personally would like
to avoid that to have a clean cut.

What do you think?

Christian