cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Sergey Beryozkin <sberyoz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS]websocket transport with undertow?
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2017 10:38:33 GMT
Hi Freeman
On 27/02/17 23:44, Freeman Fang wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> We have websocket transport in CXF for a while, I wanna know how wide is this used by
CXF users, if this is widely used, is it feasible to also add undertow websocket implementation
in CXF?

The existing CXF web socket transport is meant to support JAX-RS flows
over WebSocket given that the JSR356 API is not synchronized to either
JAX-RS or JAX-WS at all. Please check systests/jaxrs WebSockets tests.
I do not remember Aki trying it with JAXWS but with a bit of the extra
work it will work with JAXWS too.
Aki started documenting it here:
http://cxf.apache.org/docs/websocket.html

and I recall we were discussing enhancing the transport for it to load
the custom bindings to support SOAP etc

This transport uses Atmosphere if it is available and was tested with
Tomcat 7 and Jetty, Tomcat 8 was problematic due to the issues with the
way JSR356 implementation was picked up. Otherwise, if Jetty is
available, it tries to use the Jetty implementation... This transport
will work side by side with either the HTTP Servlet or Http Jetty
transports.

Users are asking and trying it now and then not sure how widely it is
used but it has to be supported IMHO and enhanced (custom bindings. etc).

As far as the Undertow WebSocket implementation is concerned, why would
you like to get it into CXF ?

If it can support the JAXRS flows and possibly JAXWS flows the way the
current transport can then why not, but IMHO this should be a
prerequisite, given that CXF transports are here to support JAXWS & JAXRS.

The other question is, does Undertow implement JSR356 ? If yes then
may be a better idea would be to fix the existing CXF websocket
transport to correctly load JSR356 code, which would make it work with
the Undertow or Tomcat8 etc JSR356 code.

Thanks, Sergey