cxf-dev mailing list archives

From James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject Re: CXF 3.2 support jetty9 only (drop jetty8 support)
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2016 13:46:59 GMT
+1.  As long as karaf 4.0.x isn't impacted, I'm cool with this.

On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 8:30 AM Daniel Kulp <dkulp@apache.org> wrote:

I’d be fine with that.   Everyone has pretty much moved on from the Karaf
2.x versions that only have Jetty8.   As long as we can support the Jetty
version in Karaf 4.0.x, I’m fine.

Dan

> On Dec 21, 2016, at 10:45 PM, Freeman Fang <freeman.fang@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Team,

> We have several issues(like CXF-7160 and CXF-7179) recently which is
caused by Jetty9 & Jetty8 API imcompatible, though we should be able to
handle this by reflection on CXF 3.1.x,  for the coming CXF 3.2 how about
we support Jetty9(drop Jetty8 support)  only? This can relieve some burden
supporting both Jetty8 & Jetty9 in CXF http-jetty transport.

> A couple of more reasons CXF 3.2 should support Jetty 9 only

> 1. Jetty8 was EOL at end of 2014 and no further work on jetty 8

> 2. benchmark showed Jetty9 is 30% faster than Jetty8 on server side due
to the big changes in IO layers

> 3. Jetty community strongly suggest to use Jetty9

> 4. pax-web support Jetty9 for a long time, so align the jetty version
seems more reasonable.

--

Daniel Kulp