cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Andy McCright <j.andrew.mccri...@gmail.com>
Subject Non-void return types for async methods
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2016 15:50:13 GMT
Hi All,

When we moved to 3.1.7 a few months ago, we started seeing a test failure
in one of our system tests.  The tester had a JAX-RS resource with the
following method signature:

  @GET
  @Produces(MediaType.APPLICATION_JSON)
  public JSONObject getMessage(@QueryParam("id") int i, @Suspended
AsyncResponse async)

Prior to 3.1.7, this method could be invoked and would return a 200
response with a JSON message.  After the upgrade, the same request results
in a 405 response, and no warning message.

When I read the javadoc text for the @Suspended annotation (
http://docs.oracle.com/javaee/7/api/javax/ws/rs/container/Suspended.html ),
it makes me think that the method should be available (and requests should
still succeed), but that the return value of the method should be ignored.
I also think we should be logging a warning rather than a fine message.

Does that sound good?  If no objections, I'll plan to open a JIRA and
provide a patch.

Thanks, Andy