cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Sergey Beryozkin <sberyoz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Removing some old modules in 3.2.0-SNAPSHOT
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2016 20:57:36 GMT
Hi Andriy

Just something I'd like to clarify re CXF OAuth1 module. I was a mentor
for the original GSOC project and spent quite a bit of time with it
afterwards too.
After spending even more time with OAuth2 I see OAuth2
being actually simpler for a classical case originally covered by OAuth1
- one less roundtrip. It is more secure and this work is ongoing. OAuth2
got a lot of bad press after an exit of the OAuth1 author but a lot of
that was originating from the users who either did not quite understand
OAuth2 or were looking at the buggy implementations of Implicit Flow, etc.

These days Oauth2 is huge. But of you drill down into it and try to
address a classical case it is simpler. And OAuth2 (with OIDC) will let
one to scale to covering much more sophisticated cases. I'm definitely
not planning to put more effort into CXF OAuth1 - and new users should
be discouraged from trying it because they will go not far with it.

I did this talk few years back:
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites/events/files/slides/ApacheEuCxfOauthHawk.pdf

But as far as this module is concerned it has got a fair bit of
attention a couple of years back. The last change I did there was 2
years back. But I can accept someone is still using CXF OAuth1 client
code against some OAuth1 server and more likely - protects CXF Server
with CXF OAuth1 filter against some 3rd party OAuth1 client.

Cheers, Sergey

--
Sergey Beryozkin

Talend Community Coders