cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Sergey Beryozkin <sberyoz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Heads up] Design of new major version of CXF DOSGi
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2016 09:10:03 GMT
Hi Christian

Having a POC is a good idea and given it let me suggest a slightly
different path.

I'd like to keep the code which is working for JAX-RS users mostly
intact - if there's some code there which tries to load classes from
their String names then I agree we can let it go but the code which
deals with the already instantiated JAX-RS providers without depending
on some wildcard imports in the DOSGI impl IMHO needs to stay.

I do not know if anyone still uses DOSGi JAX-RS but I 100% sure I worked
with some of them specifically on the issue of supporting injected
providers and properties.

Having an intent alternative is interesting and here a POC will help us
understand how it can be done in a pure DOSGi way. Even if it works well
I'd still favor keeping the existing JAX-RS option while we can start
encouraging users to migrate to the Intents way.

However, the goal of this re-design is not to make the JAX-RS part more
DOSGI-y :-). It is about making a clean split of the monolitic CXF DOSGi
which I fully support.

Let it be done first and then we can try and go for a POC - it won't
have to be done for JAX-RS only, we can try and see how it works for
JAX-WS, example, having a 'BeanValidation' intent or 'Logging' intent, etc.

Sounds reasonable ?

Cheers, Sergey

--
Sergey Beryozkin