cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JAX-WS client performances
Date Tue, 27 Jan 2015 18:00:49 GMT
Chatted with Alessio about this on IRC.   It looks like a bug in the JDK introduced in Java7
update 40.  A bug was logged:

but then closed a non-reproducible.   Alessio will look into seeing if that can be re-opened.

Meanwhile we’ll likely remove the call to setFixedLengthStreamingMode.  That will result
in an extra byte[] copy of the message, but this is only for smaller messages (hasn’t hit
the threshold yet) and thus is fairly quick and is certainly MUCH MUCH faster than the problems
we’re seeing with the call to setFixedLengthStreamingMode().

Dan

> On Jan 27, 2015, at 12:14 PM, Alessio Soldano <asoldano@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> my attention has been recently brought to a scenario in which an Apache CXF client invokes
an endpoint operation in a loop and the number of invocations performed in a given amount
of time (say, 2 minutes) is used as benchmark for measuring WS stack performances. It's actually
a very simplistic scenario, with a plain JAX-WS single thread client sending and receiving
small RPC/Lit SOAP messages [1]. The reason why I've been asked to have a look is that with
default settings the Apache CXF JAX-WS impl seems to perform *shamefully* bad compared to
the Metro (JAX-WS RI) implementation. I've been blaming the user log configuration, etc but
when I eventually tried on my own I could actually reproduce the bad results. I've been profiling
a bit and found few hot spot area where CXF could possibly be optimized, but the big issue
really seems to be at the HTTPCounduit / HTTPURLConnection level.
> I found that almost all the invocations end up into sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(..)
calling available() method [2] as part of the process for re-using cached connections [3];
that goes to the wire to try reading and takes a lot of time.
> When the RI does the equivalent operation, the available() method is not called [4],
resulting in much better performances.
> By looking at the JDK code, it looks to me that the problem boils down to sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection#streaming()
[5] returning different values, as a consequence of the fixedContentLenght attribute being
set to a value different from -1 when running on CXF only. As a matter of fact, that is set
when HTTPConduit.WrappedOutputStream#thresholdNotReached() is called, whenever a message is
completely written to the outpustream buffer before the chunking threshold is reached (at
least AFAIU). I've searched through the JAX-WS RI and could not find any place where setFixedLengthStreamingMode
is called on the connection instead.
> So, I've performed two quick and dirty tries: the first time I forced allowChunking =
false on the client policy, the second time I commented out the code in HTTPConduit.WrappedOutputStream#thresholdNotReached().
In both cases I managed to get performances comparable to what I can get with the JAX-WS RI.
> Now, few questions:
> - are we really required to call setFixedLengthStreamingMode as we currently do? what's
the drawback of not calling it?
> - should we actually do something for getting decent performances by default in this
scenario? (not sure expecting the user to disable chunking is that an option...)
> As a side note, the relevant part of the JDK HttpClient code changed between JDK6 and
JDK7, so things have not always been as explained above...

--
Daniel Kulp