cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject New metrics in rt-management
Date Fri, 26 Sep 2014 18:37:37 GMT

I’ve just pushed (to 3.1) a new class in ft-management that enables some more advance metric
tracking for CXF endpoints and operations.   The current CounterRepository provides some very
basic min/max/avg/count type metrics.   That’s useful, but more advanced information like
stddevs and percentiles and such.   Also, stats per type of fault is useful as well.  Example:
maybe the runtime faults are causing the major slowdown.

To accomplish this, I’ve used the coda hale library and it’s Timer objects  (also added
an “In Flight” counter to record how many requests are being processed).     The main
“issue” is that all the metrics are in a different place in the JMX tree.  However, both
the older CounterRepository and the new Metrics thing can be enabled at the same time if required.

I’ve updated the wsdl_first demo’s -Pserver-spring spring based server to enable the new
metrics.  Feel free to give it a try and let me know what you think.    It has both enabled
so once you hit the server (mvn -Pclient will work), you can dig through the “Metrics.Server”
section in jconsole and see some of what’s there.

Right now, I’ve only added capabilities for the server side.   I won’t have time for a
week or so to look at the client side, but if someone would like to pick that up, that would
be great.

--
Daniel Kulp