cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CXF tools jars aren't OSGi bundles anymore in 3.x
Date Wed, 27 Aug 2014 18:41:07 GMT

On Aug 26, 2014, at 10:32 AM, Guillaume Nodet <gnodet@apache.org> wrote:

> In 2.x, cxf tooling jars were packaged as valid OSGi bundles.
> In 3.x, the maven packaging has been changed from jar to bundle for most of
> the bundles, but the tool ones remained jars. Unfortunately, the OSGi
> manifest is not generated anymore.

When I did the conversion from packaging:jar  to bundle, I kind of skipped the tooling jars.
  The main reasons were:

1) I couldn’t find a real use case where the tooling needed to work in OSGi so it wasn’t
a high priority.

2) I’m 90% certain that some of the tooling won’t work in OSGi anyway.     Much of the
tooling would need to be able to load the various META-INF/tools-plugins.xml files from the
various bundles.   That would require a new Bundle Activator or something like we do for the
bus-extensions.txt to be able to read them from the various bundles.   Since that would, at
the very least, prevent then entire wsdl2* set of tools from running and likely others, I
didn’t pursue it much further.   If I WAS to pursue this further, I’d likely ditch the
tools-plugins.xml files entirely and go with the bus-extensions.txt and load them all via
a Bus.   Not a high priority though.

> I'm raising this issue because the feature definitions comes with a
> cxf-tools feature which can't be used anymore in 3.x.
> Given I'm verifying those features, which way should I go ? Remove this
> feature or change the maven packaging to bundle ?

I’m OK with changing them to bundle.   There are definite use cases where someone COULD
use some of the functionality out of the jars without actually invoking the tools themselves.
  I think the WSDL validator might be usable that way.

--
Daniel Kulp