cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: Ideas for standardizing CXF authentication and authorization
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2014 07:38:03 GMT
Hi Chris,

The problem with the plugable aproach is that we would have to create a
new API that then CXF and at least the Shiro "bridge" module would
depend on.
 From another point of view JAAS can even be seen as the basis for the
plugable approach. The JAAS API is the common API and we can have
different authentication modules in CXF that simply need to result in an
established JASS context in the end. The big advantage of JAAS compared
to another API ist that it is built into the JRE so everyone already has
the API.
So I would prefer that we try to attach Shiro to JAAS too. This is
indeed something we could discuss on the shiro list.

I see three general scenarios where shiro is involved:

1. Do all authentication and auhorization with shiro. (e.g. Shiro filter
for Authentication and Shiro calls in business logic for Authorization).
Here it is all shiro. We probably need no special integration

2. Do authentication in shiro and authorization in CXF.
In this case it would be ideal if shiro could simply establish a JAAS
context in addition to its own security context. This alone should then
fully work for CXF as soon as we rely on JAAS in CXF. Till then
we could use a small CXF module to establish a CXF SecurityContext from
an existing JAAS context.

3. Do authentication in CXF using JAAS and authorization in shiro.
There we would need the bridge in the other direction. Shiro would need
a small adapter that creates a Shiro Security context from an existing
JAAS context

Regarding OSGi I see no real problems with JAAS. I tested The
JAASAuthenticationFeature together with my new blueprint authorization
module and the karaf role based access system (for OSGi services) and it
works well. Cross service calls should be no issue as they use the same
thread in OSGi. So the JAAS context is untouched and simply works. In
fact JAAS is the standard authentication / authorization model for OSGi.
For example the whole OSGi security framework with things like
BundlePermission relies on JAAS.

Christian

--
Christian Schneider