cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Sergey Beryozkin <sberyoz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Java 8 and JAXB and 3.0.1
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2014 13:33:29 GMT
Hi Dan
On 05/06/14 14:30, Daniel Kulp wrote:

> On Jun 5, 2014, at 8:15 AM, Daniel Kulp <dkulp@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> Is anyone else able to reproduce this?   I’ve been using Java6 on the Mac just
fine.

>> Also, what version of Maven are you using?
>
> Just tried with J6 on the Mac with both Maven 3.2.1 and 3.0.5.   Both worked.   I’ll
try on my Linux box later today.

Sorry, was just going to start a build with the latest java 6, I had the
build picking up Java6 26. Will get back shortly

Cheers, Sergey
> Dan
>

>> Dan
>>

>> On Jun 5, 2014, at 5:04 AM, Sergey Beryozkin <sberyozkin@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Dan
>>>
>>> It appears the update has caused 3.0.1 effectively 'dropping' Java 6 support
from CXF 3.0.1, I'm seeing the build errors like

>>> [ERROR] rt/ws/policy/target/generated/src/main/java/org/apache/cxf/ws/policy/v200607/OperatorContentType.java:[59,122]
cannot find symbol
>>> [ERROR] symbol  : method required()
>>> [ERROR] location: @interface javax.xml.bind.annotation.XmlElementRef
>>>
>>> Can we somehow adjust the generation process may be in 3.0.1 ?
>>>
>>> Cheers, Sergey

that allows it to work better with Java 8.   All the CXF tooling tests now pass.  There is
a new single failure in the jaxws systests and of course all the OSGi and JIBX related things
still fail.   Thus, it’s a step in the right direction.

been using so I want to bring this up for discussion before updating master to use this for
3.0.1.   With 2.2.7, we had just two jaxb related jars:  jaxb-impl and jaxb-xjc.   With 2.2.10,
it adds a third:  jaxb-core.   For the most part, people that get JAXB transitively from CXF
won’t have any issue as I can update our poms to bring that in as well.   However, anyone
that excludes JAXB when grabbing CXF would have to update their poms to also exclude that
jar.

to wait for 3.1?   Personally, I’d like to get it in for 3.0.1 as it brings us closer to
having support for Java8.  In particular, the command line tools in bin (wsdl2java, etc….)
would work.

are now shaded versions of stuff  in org.glassfish.jaxb.  Thus, longer term, we likely should
flip to the org.glassfish versions.  That’s an even bigger change and not something I’d
like to do for 3.0.1 though.

>> --
>> Daniel Kulp

Sergey Beryozkin