cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Sergey Beryozkin <sberyoz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Java 8 and JAXB and 3.0.1
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2014 09:04:32 GMT
Hi Dan

It appears the update has caused 3.0.1 effectively 'dropping' Java 6
support from CXF 3.0.1, I'm seeing the build errors like

[ERROR]
rt/ws/policy/target/generated/src/main/java/org/apache/cxf/ws/policy/v200607/OperatorContentType.java:[59,122]

cannot find symbol
[ERROR] symbol  : method required()
[ERROR] location: @interface javax.xml.bind.annotation.XmlElementRef

Can we somehow adjust the generation process may be in 3.0.1 ?

Cheers, Sergey

On 28/05/14 15:41, Daniel Kulp wrote:

> There is a new version of JAXB available in central (2.2.10-b140310.1920) that allows
it to work better with Java 8.   All the CXF tooling tests now pass.  There is a new single
failure in the jaxws systests and of course all the OSGi and JIBX related things still fail.
  Thus, it’s a step in the right direction.

> HOWEVER, there is a minor incompatibility with it and JAXB 2.2.7 that we’ve been using
so I want to bring this up for discussion before updating master to use this for 3.0.1.
With 2.2.7, we had just two jaxb related jars:  jaxb-impl and jaxb-xjc.   With 2.2.10, it
adds a third:  jaxb-core.   For the most part, people that get JAXB transitively from CXF
won’t have any issue as I can update our poms to bring that in as well.   However, anyone
that excludes JAXB when grabbing CXF would have to update their poms to also exclude that
jar.

> So, the question is: is that kind of thing OK for 3.0.1 or would it need to wait for
3.1?   Personally, I’d like to get it in for 3.0.1 as it brings us closer to having support
for Java8.  In particular, the command line tools in bin (wsdl2java, etc….) would work.

> Another note:  the jaxb stuff in “com.sun.xml.bind” in maven central are now shaded
versions of stuff  in org.glassfish.jaxb.  Thus, longer term, we likely should flip to the
org.glassfish versions.  That’s an even bigger change and not something I’d like to do
for 3.0.1 though.