cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Java 8 and JAXB and 3.0.1
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2014 13:30:55 GMT

On Jun 5, 2014, at 8:15 AM, Daniel Kulp <dkulp@apache.org> wrote:

> Is anyone else able to reproduce this?   I’ve been using Java6 on the Mac just fine.
>
> Also, what version of Maven are you using?

Just tried with J6 on the Mac with both Maven 3.2.1 and 3.0.5.   Both worked.   I’ll try
on my Linux box later today.

Dan

> Dan
>

> On Jun 5, 2014, at 5:04 AM, Sergey Beryozkin <sberyozkin@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Dan
>>
>> It appears the update has caused 3.0.1 effectively 'dropping' Java 6 support from
CXF 3.0.1, I'm seeing the build errors like

>> [ERROR] rt/ws/policy/target/generated/src/main/java/org/apache/cxf/ws/policy/v200607/OperatorContentType.java:[59,122]
cannot find symbol
>> [ERROR] symbol  : method required()
>> [ERROR] location: @interface javax.xml.bind.annotation.XmlElementRef
>>
>> Can we somehow adjust the generation process may be in 3.0.1 ?
>>
>> Cheers, Sergey
>>

>> On 28/05/14 15:41, Daniel Kulp wrote:
>>>
>>> There is a new version of JAXB available in central (2.2.10-b140310.1920) that
allows it to work better with Java 8.   All the CXF tooling tests now pass.  There is a new
single failure in the jaxws systests and of course all the OSGi and JIBX related things still
fail.   Thus, it’s a step in the right direction.

>>> HOWEVER, there is a minor incompatibility with it and JAXB 2.2.7 that we’ve
been using so I want to bring this up for discussion before updating master to use this for
3.0.1.   With 2.2.7, we had just two jaxb related jars:  jaxb-impl and jaxb-xjc.   With 2.2.10,
it adds a third:  jaxb-core.   For the most part, people that get JAXB transitively from CXF
won’t have any issue as I can update our poms to bring that in as well.   However, anyone
that excludes JAXB when grabbing CXF would have to update their poms to also exclude that
jar.

>>> So, the question is: is that kind of thing OK for 3.0.1 or would it need to wait
for 3.1?   Personally, I’d like to get it in for 3.0.1 as it brings us closer to having
support for Java8.  In particular, the command line tools in bin (wsdl2java, etc….) would
work.

>>> Another note:  the jaxb stuff in “com.sun.xml.bind” in maven central are
now shaded versions of stuff  in org.glassfish.jaxb.  Thus, longer term, we likely should
flip to the org.glassfish versions.  That’s an even bigger change and not something I’d
like to do for 3.0.1 though.

>>> Thoughts?
>>>

> --
> Daniel Kulp