cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Andriy Redko <drr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Short term plans/branching....
Date Mon, 19 May 2014 18:54:51 GMT
Hi Dan,

Excellent plan! One question though: following recent discussions on the list,
there is strong interest in Java 8 support but we know some issues have to be resolved.
Do you think we can at least investigate Java 8 support and be ready as much as we can?
Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Andriy Redko

DK> Just wanted to throw out a quick discussion about how to manage the git repo for the
short term.

DK> With the last 2.6.x release, we announced there would be one more release of that branch.
 Thus, we need to keep
DK> that branch around.   To avoid having to merge to 3 fixes branches, I’d like to keep
master on 3.0.1 until 2.6.15 is
DK> released.   At that point, we can create the 3.0.x-fixes branch and set master for
3.1.    Is there any problems
DK> with that?  Anything needed for 3.1 that needs to be put on master immediately?

DK> With 3.0.0 out, I expect a bit higher uptake of it and a possible influx of issues.
  Thus, I’d like a relatively
DK> quick turnaround for 3.0.1.  Maybe 4-6 weeks.   At that point, we could do 3.0.1/2.7.12/2.6.15
releases at once and be done with 2.6.x.      Would that work for everyone?

DK> Once we start 3.1, I’d like to do a couple things:
DK> 1) Update to require Java7
DK> 2) Remove all the Jaxws 2.1 support stuff.   With being Java 7, we don’t need the
various 2.2/2.1 profiles and differences and such.
DK> 3) *possibly* change the tooling to use the in-JDK JAXB XJC.   With recent versions
of the JDK, the in-JDK versions
DK> are actually more up to date than the versions available in central.   Plus, this would
fix some of the issues on
DK> Java8.   This MAY cause issue on IBM JDK’s.  Will need to investigate.  Possible
wrap the impl via reflect calls
DK> like we do in the runtime.  In any case, this would drop a few dependencies as well.
DK> 4) Start investigating Jetty9 support.   This may be hard without breaking Jetty8.
DK> 5) With Java7, start using some of the new interfaces, the AutoClosable one being the
main “nice to have”.