cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Sosnoski <...@sosnoski.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Short term plans/branching....
Date Mon, 19 May 2014 22:13:27 GMT
I don't think the JiBX support should be any concern. I haven't been
maintaining the JiBX code for some time, and the Java 8 issue is
probably the last nail in the coffin.

A new release of BCEL might let JiBX limp along a little longer, but
BCEL has been obsolete for a long time. I would have liked to strip out
the BCEL usage and replace it with ASM, which would also have been cause
to clean up some of the nastiest code in the project, but without some
financial support that's not going to happen.

So I'd say just drop JiBX support going forward.

   - Dennis

On 05/20/2014 07:26 AM, Daniel Kulp wrote:
> On May 19, 2014, at 2:54 PM, Andriy Redko<drreta@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> >Hi Dan,
>> >
>> >Excellent plan! One question though: following recent discussions on the list,
>> >there is strong interest in Java 8 support but we know some issues have to be
resolved.
>> >Do you think we can at least investigate Java 8 support and be ready as much
as we can?
> I know Willem and I have both been doing a bunch of experiments with Java8.  The main
blocker we have right now is all the JIBX related stuff as the JIBX plugin cannot work with
Java8.  It’s pretty much out of our hands (and not really even in the JIBX’s folks hands)
as it would require a release of BCEL from the Apache Commons folks first.   I*think*  if
a BCEL release was made, we could at least build CXF with Java8.   That would leave a couple
remaining issues: