cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Java 8 and JAXB and 3.0.1
Date Wed, 28 May 2014 14:41:13 GMT

There is a new version of JAXB available in central (2.2.10-b140310.1920) that allows it to
work better with Java 8.   All the CXF tooling tests now pass.  There is a new single failure
in the jaxws systests and of course all the OSGi and JIBX related things still fail.   Thus,
it’s a step in the right direction.

HOWEVER, there is a minor incompatibility with it and JAXB 2.2.7 that we’ve been using so
I want to bring this up for discussion before updating master to use this for 3.0.1.   With
2.2.7, we had just two jaxb related jars:  jaxb-impl and jaxb-xjc.   With 2.2.10, it adds
a third:  jaxb-core.   For the most part, people that get JAXB transitively from CXF won’t
have any issue as I can update our poms to bring that in as well.   However, anyone that excludes
JAXB when grabbing CXF would have to update their poms to also exclude that jar.

So, the question is: is that kind of thing OK for 3.0.1 or would it need to wait for 3.1?
  Personally, I’d like to get it in for 3.0.1 as it brings us closer to having support for
Java8.  In particular, the command line tools in bin (wsdl2java, etc….) would work.

Another note:  the jaxb stuff in “com.sun.xml.bind” in maven central are now shaded versions
of stuff  in org.glassfish.jaxb.  Thus, longer term, we likely should flip to the org.glassfish
versions.  That’s an even bigger change and not something I’d like to do for 3.0.1 though.

Thoughts?
--
Daniel Kulp