cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CXF javadoc questions for 3.0
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2014 20:47:47 GMT

I made a few changes to the javadoc stuff.  If LDAP ever comes back, I’ll get it committed.

Basically, for the distribution, I’ll leave the javadoc at just the “core” javadoc.
 However, it also generates a jar of the full javadoc for everything.  This is what will be
deployed to the website.

Since it’s an artifact, it will also be available in the maven repo.  For example, what
I committed yesterday is at:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/cxf/cxf-javadoc/3.0.0-SNAPSHOT/

(I’m changing the group-id to cxf-distribution-javadoc once I can commit).   Thus, we could
easily add links to download the full thing if wanted to.

The latest 3.0.0-SNAPSHOT javadocs are now on the website:   http://cxf.apache.org/javadoc/latest-3.0.x/

Dan

On Apr 2, 2014, at 2:38 PM, Daniel Kulp <dkulp@apache.org> wrote:

> For 2.x, we basically generated 2 different sets of Javadoc for 2 different purposes:
>
> 1) We generated the javadoc ONLY for the cxf-api.  This is the javadoc that we stuck
in the “docs” dir of the distribution.

> 2) As part of the big cxf-bundle build, we generated javadocs for everything that went
in the bundle.  This is what we deployed to the website.

> There are some problems with both….   cxf-api misses a ton of stuff that we expect
users to use.   Things like the HttpConduits for configuring http settings, lots of JAX-RS
things, the JAX-WS factories, etc….   The second one includes a lot more stuff, but still
misses anything in the services (sts, ws-discovery, etc…).  Plus, those are just available
on-line.  Not sure if that’s an issue.

> For 3.0, we want to get rid of the big bundle. Thus, generating 2 needed a re-think.
  I just pushed some changes to create a distribution/javadoc module to handle that.   It
now includes EVERYTHING other than the wars and tests.  Thus, it really is a complete javadoc
of everything in CXF.

> Now, the question comes: what do we want to include and where?  The full javadoc is 168MB.
  Do we want to include that in the distribution?  (although it compresses very very well
so doesn’t balloon the tar.gz/zip up by much).  Or do we want to include only some subset
for the distribution?  Just “cxf-core” to match what we included for 2.x?   More?    Alternatively,
in the docs dir, just put a simple read me that points to cxf.apache.org/docs for the main
docs and the appropriate javadoc dir for javadoc?   That may be the most appropriate since
we don’t include any “real” docs in the distribution anyway, just the javadocs.

> Thoughts?
>
> --
> Daniel Kulp

Daniel Kulp