cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Aki Yoshida <elak...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Couple more CXF 3.0 thoughts.....
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2014 14:04:28 GMT
no objection.

> With 3.0 getting really close, I do realize this is kind of last minute, but wanted to
throw these out real quick.

> Would anyone object to removing all the SOAP over TCP stuff that is currently in the
SOAP binding?  It was a project started by a GSoC student several years ago.  However, due
to the complexity and poor documentation, it was not "finished" in time.   No one has ever
picked it up to finish it.  Thus, it's incomplete, it doesn't work correctly, won't actually
interoperate with anything, etc...  It pretty much just results in a bunch of extra classes
in the soap binding, a few extra "provided" deps in pom, etc....    Plus, it never caught
on.    If someone DOES want to pick it up in the future, the code could be resurrected from
GIT.   I just don't see that happening.  (in addition, there is the SOAP over Websockets thing
from Microsoft which encompasses  much of the same thing, but using Websockets and would work
with recent .NET things)

> Any thoughts about the Java6/Java7 support level?   This *IS* a ".0" release which could
be a good time to consider this.   I really don't care either way at this point, but I kind
of expect that by 3.1 or 3.2, we'll want to drop Java6 anyway due to dependencies starting
to require it.  (example: Jetty 9 requires Java7)    Anyway, something to think about.
I'd be OK sticking with Java6 and saying we'll go Java7 for one of the later releases.
  I suppose one thought is to keep Java6 for 3.0 so we have one version of CXF that support
JAX-RS 2.0 and runs on Java6.

> Related to that, what about CXF 2.6?   Once 3.0 is release, do we want to do a "final"
2.6.x and stop doing regular releases on that branch?   Doing so would allow removing all
the Java5 JDK's which is certainly something I'm keen on.   Never got Java5 working on my
Mac.  :-)     That said, it's also the only branch we currently have that support JAX-RS 1.1.