cxf-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Sergey Beryozkin <sberyoz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Couple more CXF 3.0 thoughts.....
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2014 21:49:40 GMT
Hi
On 24/03/14 18:35, Daniel Kulp wrote:
>
> With 3.0 getting really close, I do realize this is kind of last minute, but wanted to
throw these out real quick.
>
> Would anyone object to removing all the SOAP over TCP stuff that is currently in the
SOAP binding?  It was a project started by a GSoC student several years ago.  However, due
to the complexity and poor documentation, it was not “finished” in time.   No one has
ever picked it up to finish it.  Thus, it’s incomplete, it doesn’t work correctly, won’t
actually interoperate with anything, etc…  It pretty much just results in a bunch of extra
classes in the soap binding, a few extra “provided” deps in pom, etc….    Plus, it never
caught on.    If someone DOES want to pick it up in the future, the code could be resurrected
from GIT.   I just don’t see that happening.  (in addition, there is the SOAP over Websockets
thing from Microsoft which encompasses  much of the same thing, but using Websockets and would
work with recent .NET things)
>
+1; I guess we can also review the viability of keeping LogBrowser, but 
hopefully it can be revived in 3.x with the help of the WebSocket 
transport, if not then may be it can be dropped, lets see...
> Any thoughts about the Java6/Java7 support level?   This *IS* a “.0” release which
could be a good time to consider this.   I really don’t care either way at this point, but
I kind of expect that by 3.1 or 3.2, we’ll want to drop Java6 anyway due to dependencies
starting to require it.  (example: Jetty 9 requires Java7)    Anyway, something to think about.
   I’d be OK sticking with Java6 and saying we’ll go Java7 for one of the later releases.
     I suppose one thought is to keep Java6 for 3.0 so we have one version of CXF that support
JAX-RS 2.0 and runs on Java6.
>
We might need to wait till CXF 3.x is included in our distro and then 
make a decision on dropping the 1.6 support...
> Related to that, what about CXF 2.6?   Once 3.0 is release, do we want to do a “final”
2.6.x and stop doing regular releases on that branch?   Doing so would allow removing all
the Java5 JDK’s which is certainly something I’m keen on.   Never got Java5 working on
my Mac.  :-)     That said, it’s also the only branch we currently have that support JAX-RS
1.1.
>
Fine with doing the final 2.6 release, 2.7.10 is expected to support 
pure JAX-RS 1.1 applications

Thanks, Sergey

>
> Thoughts on the above?
>



Mime
View raw message