cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Sergey Beryozkin <sberyoz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RESTful, WSDL 2.0 & WADL
Date Mon, 10 Mar 2014 11:06:33 GMT
Hi
On 07/03/14 05:24, Gary Gregory wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'd like to use a CXF dynamic client to call a RESTful service. I also want
> to formally describe the RESTful service with a standard-based file.
>
> My first choice was WSDL 2.0 since it is a standard.
>
> Creating a client with JaxWsDynamicClientFactory fails with a WSDL 2.0
> file. Is WSDL 2.0 on the roadmap?
>
> Next up is WADL, an almost standard. I do not see any WADL samples in
> 2.7.10 or 3.0.0-m2.
>
> Creating a WADL client with JaxWsDynamicClientFactory fails.
>
> Can you please provide some guidance WRT WSDL 2.0, WADL, and dynamic
> clients?

IMHO WADL is a better language for describing REST applications, it is
richer and more complete. I believe WSDL 2.0 is optimized for describing
WS services. I recall checking its RS binding and looking at the
generated code and I thought at a time it was rather limited. I think it
is difficult to have a single language describing adequately two
different styles.

I think the only reason WADL is not standard is that right now there's
no much industry interest in getting a standard language for describing
RS services, some developers think that if they start using WADL (or
other formal language) then they will have the purity of REST
applications minimized, I don't really share the concern, WADL can be
quote helpful in a number of cases, such as testing and the code
generation (i.e, it can support the people designing their schemas
first, etc). I believe that, in practice, those developers who want the
language support use WADL, unless they use WSDL2-supporting frameworks
like Axis 2 (I believe they support it)

IMHO it may make sense to offer a light-weight WSDL2 support in CXF
specifically to support the clients or servers already written with
WSDL2 in mind...

Sergey