cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Sergey Beryozkin <sberyoz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Discuss: Switching cxf to git
Date Wed, 22 Jan 2014 17:25:54 GMT
On 22/01/14 17:18, Daniel Kulp wrote:

> On Jan 22, 2014, at 12:01 PM, Christian Schneider <chris@die-schneider.net> wrote:
>
>> There is one thing that might be different.
>>
>> I recently "committed/pushed" a change from a non committer to karaf. I proposed
to the developer to fork the karaf repo on github and commit and push there. I then thought
to use a github pull request but this probably would not have worked as the karaf repo at
github is readonly. So I pulled his changes into my own checkout and pushed them to karaf
at apache. So the commits still had his name in them. JB then told me that this is probably
not allowed.

> Personally, I prefer that as we then know exactly where that change came from.
>
>> So the question is: how would the process look like for pull requests? Is it ok that
the original non committer name is in the commit or do we have to avoid this?

> Git does record the Author separate from the committer.  In theory, in this case, the
two could be different.  I’m just not sure how to make that happen.    A 'git log --pretty=fuller’
 should produce both names.    I’m not sure how you pulled the changes from github to cause
both the committer and author to be the same.  Ideally, it would retain the author and put
you in as committer, but it doesn’t look like it did that for you.   We’d have to experiment
a bit.

> That said, if you do the pull with “—squash” to squash it down into a single commit,
that would also have your name I think.

> Definitely getting into more advanced git stuff though.   I’m not advanced enough with
it to really know.  :-(

Does using 'git diff' and attaching the patches to JIRA works at all ?

Sergey

> Dan
>

>> Christian
>>
>> Am 22.01.2014 15:40, schrieb Daniel Kulp:
>>> Anyone who is a committer will be able to “push” changes into the canonical
repo here at Apache. Honestly, for committers, you can use git just like you you git-svn or
just svn today. Just instead of “git svn dcommit” or “svn commit” it would be a “git
push”. If you don’t want your workflow to change, you don’t really need it to change.
The commands are just a little different and many of the operations perform much faster.